Polymax Silicone rubber sponge sheet is the preferred choice of medical, pharmaceutical and food processing industries.
Most commercially available silicone sponge products are made from gum based polydimethylsiloxane (PMDS). The polymer is chemically expanded when heat cured to create the closed cell sponge structure. Closed cell means that the cells are non-interconnecting; therefore they do not allow water to wick through the sponge. Generally, silicone sponges have superior mechanical properties and are considered to have a complete closed cell structure.
Expanded closed cell silicone sponge offers many of performance benefits of solid silicone in a softer and more compliant form.
Key Benefits of Closed Cell Silicone Sponge:
- Wide operating temperature - silicone sponge has a temperature range of -73°C to 200°C
We sell a high temperature version for use up to 270°CC, please contact a member of the sales team for more information
- Water sealing – the closed cell structure allows for good water sealing with relatively low compressive forces.
- Compression set resistance – silicone offers excellent compression set resistance (ability to rebound to original thickness), especially at higher temperatures, compared to most rubber material. Low compression set silicone sponges are available for even better performance than general purpose grades.
- UV and ozone resistance – silicone products have excellent UV and ozone resistance due in part to their inorganic backbone. This provides long term performance.
- Rugged – when silicone is required, silicone sponge parts are more durable than some other products openly available.
- Outdoor gasketing – considering all the above benefits, silicone sponge is a good material choice for outdoor environments, from the arctic to the desert.
Typical or common uses of silicone sponge are namely gaskets, cushioning and sealing, but have been known to be used in many other applications.
Polymax silicone sheets are available in 1 metre widths and can be bought in a 10 metre roll or cut to varying lengths of full 1 metre. Colours include; white, red oxide and black and come in a range of thicknesses between 1.5mm and 30mm and also varying densities.
Please ring an advisor if you need more advice on colour options and availability.
|Sell by the metre
|Hardness (Shore A)
|Maximum Temperature (°C)
|Minimum Temperature (°C)
|Tensile Strength (MPa)
|Elongation at break (%)
|Compression Set (%)
|Compression Set Testing Parameters
|50% 25hrs @70